I created this meditation rug to accompany my sitting cushion so that I could have something soft and yarn-y under my knees instead of the wooden floor of my room. I must say I am totally happy with how the meditation rug turned out, even though the edges weren’t falling into a straight line, and my tension wasn’t perfect with some squares a tad bigger than the others.
But it’s very functional and have proven it’s tough enough to survive a couple of wash and drying in the machines.
I had a couple of blue yarns in the same family “Medium Thick Deodorant Acrylic Yarn” in my stash that I could have used but well, you know, any excuse to go buy new yarn is always a good excuse.
Plus I do so like the Daiso store and they stock some decent yarn at SGD2 a ball no matter what size or texture. It’s always value for money when you need more than just a few balls for a project. We do have other yarn stores here but at SGD9 a ball? I don’t think so.
Well, I found a very nice variegated acrylic yarn with lovely shades of violet and purple that I could use as the main colour while the other blues in my stash would do just fine as the joining yarn.
With a Size 5 hook, and a simple and quick V-stitch pattern I soon had a pile of granny squares in a short time. That’s because I made most of the squares during my commute to and from work. Even if I didn’t have a seat on the train, I could still crochet standing up so it was no big deal. I was happy that I could even finish 2 squares a day that way.
Each square had 4 rounds of stitches with no border. The way I see it the border would come when I use a contrasting blue as the joining colour and I was right.
I also didn’t block the squares and now after two washes, they measure about 9 x 9 cm that is, not counting the joins.
Actually I wasn’t quite sure which method was best to join up the squares so I experimented a bit until I found one that made the overall rug secure. What I mean is, I didn’t want the squares to shift when I am sitting on the rug so the join could not be too lacy.
I was happily using a cobalt blue for the joints until it ran out. However, by the time I returned to Daiso thinking I’d buy some more, well, there weren’t anymore of the same shade. In the end, I accepted that I had to use another shade of blue, azure. Never mind if the whole rug turned out to be a bit haphazard, well, at least it gave me a chance to let go of being a perfectionist, an occupational hazard with all crafters.
The last bit was just to finish the edge with a running border of SCs. And that was it. A perfectly bluish rug that’s functional.
As always, let me know if you any questions about this project here.