This workshop is the second in a series of outdoor sketching of botanical art. We started with the beautiful lotus of the Nymphae family and now we move on to the beautiful waterlily which is of the Nelumbo family. These two plants are often mistaken for each other but they are a different species altogether as you closely observe the flower and leaf. There are many different types of waterlily in the world.
What you will learn
Drawing outdoors takes things to a different level and trains you in the art of mindfulness through careful and focussed observation. Other things you will learn from the workshop are:
1. how to observe a plant specimen in its natural environment and learning to make sketching ‘notes’
2. what to look for and add to your drawing – sketching parts before the whole
3. what you bring to the moment – feelings, thoughts, etc – as a form of response art – this is where the mindfulness comes in
4. pre-drawing templates and instructions to familiarise you to the plant
5. composing your very own drawings of the waterlily flower and the way its leaves spread out in a definite pattern peculiar to the waterlily species
What you need to bring
1. your favourite sketchbook
2. drawing implements of your own choice e.g. pen, marker, brush pen, or pencil you are most comfortable with
How to get there
If you are coming by MRT, alight at the Bayfront MRT Stn and follow the signs to the ArtScience Museum, cutting through the shopping complex and out of it. In case of wet weather, we will adjourn to the covered section of the pond and continue with the session. I will be at the lily pond from 1:45 p.m. onwards and will see you all there. The class will start promptly on time.
Date: 19 October 2018, Friday
Time: 02:00 p.m. to 06:00 p.m. (4 hours) Singapore Standard Time
Cost: SGD28.00 (all proceeds to charity)
Venue: Meet at the ArtScience Museum lily pond from 1:45 p.m. onwards
Please use the form below to register your participation. I will send you a reply email once I receive your form and will include payment details for inter-bank transfer. Once payment is processed, you will receive confirmation of registration and participation.
~ ॐ ~